LegalShield is one of the nation’s leading providers of legal safeguards, and offers one of the industry’s most affordable identity theft plans. LegalShield protects more than 3.5 million people in North America and even offers their services to companies and organizations across the country.
LegalShield is an established organization that has maintained an impressive A+ BBB grade for 15 years. Their restoration services are ran through Kroll, who is the world’s leading consulting company in identity theft restoration.
Features IDShield includes (but is not limited to):
- Individual and Family Coverage Options
- Comprehensive Restoration by Kroll Advisory Solutions
- One-Bureau Credit Report and Score
- Unlimited Consultation Related to Identity Theft
- TransUnion Credit Monitoring and Activity Alert and other features that may not be listed
IDShield offers their full service for you, your spouse and up to eight children for only $19.95.
Something else that sets IDShield apart is its $5 million Service Guarantee for both their individual and family plans. This essentially means that in the event of identity theft, IDShield will spend up to $5 million of its own resources to do everything possible to restore you to pre-theft status.
According to LegalShield’s BBB profile, they only have 151 complaints out of their millions of customers. But customer’s have reported that most of the problems are related to the product/service and also billing/collection issues. Fortunately, LegalShield is proactive and has already closed 48 of those complaints in the last year.
Even though IDShield does offer one credit score, they only allow quarterly updated scores or reports to view any changes that were made over time.
IDShield Individual – $9.95/month, IDShield Family – $19.95/month
- Comprehensive Restoration Provided by Kroll Advisory Solutions: Kroll Advisory provides a wide range of identity theft restoration services for all LegalShield Plan members, including medical identity, financial identity, and much more.
- Single Bureau Credit Score: Members will receive a quarterly credit score from TransUnion
- Unlimited Identity Theft Consultation: Provided by Kroll who is a licensed investigator for identity theft issues. All you need to do is sign a Limited Power or Attorney and they will take over the restoration process for you. This includes setting up a seven-year fraud alert notification with each of the three credit bureaus.
- Single Bureau Credit Monitoring and Activity Alert: TransUnion credit monitoring will push alerts to you if any changes are made to your credit file.
- Black Market Website Surveillance: Monitoring of your Social Security number (SSN), credit card numbers and bank account numbers you input into the system
- Sex Offender Search (upon request): List of sex offender locations in your area and it tracks to see if a registered sex offender uses your address
- Social Security Number Skip Trace (upon request): SSN search through 34 billion public records to detect potential fraud
- Lost Wallet Assistance (upon request): Assistance in canceling and replacing ID as well as placing fraud alerts in the incident of a stolen purse or wallet
- $5 Million Service Guarantee: In the event of a theft, IDShield will spend up to $5 million to restore your identity.
- Bank Account and Credit Card Number Monitoring: Members will be alerted to any and all suspicious activity involving their bank account number or credit card number.
- Address Change Verification: IDShield will ask you to verify the validity of a change in mailing address. This will help prevent ID thieves from having credit cards in your name sent to other addresses.
- File Sharing Network Searches: Prevents ID thieves on file sharing networks from downloading sensitive information off your computer
- 24/7/365 Support: Members can call IDShield any time of day throughout the year for emergency assistance or live member support.
LegalShield collects non-public information about members through:
- Information taken from your applications or other forms (including name, address, Social Security number and payment instructions)
- Data you provide during your visit on LegalShield
- Data about your transactions with LegalShield, their affiliates or others
Kroll Advisory Solutions Limitations and Exclusions
In order to receive Kroll’s comprehensive identity restoration, the victim must provide:
- A copy of the police report citing the identity theft case
- A signed and notarized copy of Kroll Advisory’s Limited Power of Attorney
- Copies of government issued ID
- Other identifying information (utility bills, SSN)
- Completed Federal Trade Commission Identity Theft affidavit form
- Additional items related to the identity theft event
Kroll Advisory Solutions does not provide its coverage for the listed events:
- Financial Loss
- Dishonest Acts
- Legal Remedy
For full definitions of these events, visit “Limitations and exclusions” on the bottom of the page.
IDShield is offered as a partnership between LegalShield and Kroll Advisory Solutions. LegalShield was formerly known as Pre-Paid Legal Services. The company changed their name in 2011 and is currently headquartered in Oklahoma. This partnership allows IDShield to be one of the leaders in the identity protection, monitoring and restoration industry.
Are there any inaccuracies in this review? We take our accuracy very seriously and would love your feedback. Give feedback here.